Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Worry?


 


I recently stumbled upon a series of "worry" verses and realized how appropriate the timing was that I was finding, and in turn reading through, the verses and studying around them.  The very first selection I looked at was Psalm 127:1-5.  It always makes me smile when I realize that GOD is apparently putting something in my path over and over.


1

      Unless the Lord builds the house,

    those who build it labor in vain.

Unless the Lord watches over the city,

    the watchman stays awake in vain.

It is in vain that you rise up early

    and go late to rest,

eating the bread of anxious toil;

    for he gives to his beloved sleep.

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,

    the fruit of the womb a reward.

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior

    are the children of one's youth.

Blessed is the man

    who fills his quiver with them!

He shall not be put to shame

    when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

It is so very comforting to know that no matter how hard we work, how hard we strive, how good we are at something; if GOD isn't in it, if our faith isn't in GOD, then it's all vain.   I am a person who does not like "the unknown".  I like to know how my day is going to go.  I want to know how customers are going to act and react.  I want things to be predictable, smooth, and running like clockwork.  GOD has an amazing sense of humor and dropped me smack dab in the middle of a world of unpredictability, where I so often find that I am just along for the ride.  

But knowing that if my faith is fixed on GOD and His truths, then nothing else really does matter.  I would much rather focus on the Peace that GOD gives, working on the tasks He directs, and building towards His Kingdom regardless of human regards; then to labor in vain on my own goals and aspirations.  

The second half of this Psalm turns around and looks at our children.  I've heard people so often talk about having a quiver full of children and the fact that a full quiver is such a blessing. I've never really understood what this verse was really getting at other than "you're so blessed with your full quiver.....".

Just today I was reading some notes that tag along with this verse in my Study Bible and now I see the verse in a whole new light:  This verse is referring to the gift of children that GOD gives us.  The children that we raise to be faithful members of GOD's people.  The children that then stand by us when they are grown as we face the enemies that come to our gates.  My job as a parent is to raise my children to focus on GOD, to have a Christ-like, servant heart.  And when the time comes, they will have the opportunity to stand side by side with us facing Satan and his demons, the trials of this world, the temptations that come our way; and boldly continue to proclaim GOD and his promises.

As I finish reading, meditating, and praying about these verses, my thoughts of worry and concern are pretty much washed away.  Replaced with excitement in the truth that GOD is on His throne, and through following Him not only I can stand boldly against the world and troubles, but my children and future generations can stand as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment